Our experts are on hand to help you find the
most cost-effective solution.
Concrete Limited was founded in 1919 by two Royal Engineers, JG Ambrose, the commercial partner, and CB Mathews, the innovator in concrete technology. During the 1914-18 war they developed the concrete pillbox used by the allies, running two of the largest concrete factories in France for their manufacture on mass production lines.
They opened their first Concrete Limited factory in Leeds in 1919, specialising in the manufacture of precast reinforced concrete floors. The factory was located at Stourton, at a quarry site which supplied part of the indigenous elements of concrete.
Throughout the difficult years following the Great War, business slowly grew, and precast concrete floors were gradually accepted as part of the building scene. As the company continued to grow, production facilities increased to cover the UK.
In 1924 an office was opened in London followed by the opening of a new factory in 1925 to serve the needs of the South.
Over the following 40 years, three further factories were opened in Falkirk (1944), Lichfield (1947) and Iver (1963).